Thursday, August 12, 2010

Do you Cyberdate?


Lauren:

MGB
For some reason cyberdating is supposed to the new norm because everyone is doing it. But that in no way makes it normal.
It is completely un-organic, abnormal and just plain weird! If you met your mate online, good for you! I am in no way putting it down but its is really just so strange. The only thing I ever got out of it is some damn good stories. Lets talk about Dan. So perfect on paper, cute pictures, and he would write these really lovely letters to me. I was truly excited to meet him. My rule before meeting is a phone call. The voice...ah the voice will say it all. Dan's voice was sweet, and soft, and high pitched. It distracted me from the content of the conversation because it was oh, so...gay. I thought to myself hmm curious lets do this. The meeting: Dan was kind of irritated, animated, sweet yet bitchy hmm. A few dates later Dan became known as my gay boyfriend aka MGB.
I wanted to hang with him all the time, walk the dog, go to a movie, have a snow ball fight. He tried to kiss me. Usually after ingesting a couple of bottles of vino hard to turn down some good old fashioned sucking face but I had to. Something wasn't right. Yet, he made it past 4 dates and even came to dinner parties. I think I wanted to pop his gay cherry. I wanted him to come out to me first. I wanted to impact his life by making him see the light and free himself from this ugly hetero world. He never did. We got into a fight one night over text message and haven't spoken since :( I still wonder about him and his dog. I hope he found his happiness, or I find mine.

Dee:
So, I have a hypothesis. If my fiancée n I go on the same dating website, and try to find our true match...there is no way in hell we would be matched up! No way. The variables, the nuances the little things that annoy us about each other and people in general...well, they (the on line dating people, whomever those wizards are) would comb all that, fine tooth style...and well, let's just say my fiancée n I would not be together. So, do we go on and find "true love" or stay with each other, just cuz. Well, since I have no intention to fuck anyone new, I'm sticking with my man. Damn u e-harmony for inadvertently making me doubt my life choices! Damn you!

Eva:
I think cyberdating is crazy…the whole thing. Its one of those rare things that make me feel happy to be married and not involved with any it.

Don’t feel bad Dee I don’t match up on any categories with the hubby. Ignorance is bliss…but confirmation of a wrong life choice…now that is sick satisfaction at its finest!

Rani:
I don't want to find my "perfect match". If someone were looking for a "perfect match" and found me, I'd die of a fucking heart attack from all the pressure that entails. Who is PERFECT? And how do you know? How can I possibly put down on paper (or in this case, on computer), who I really am, when I'm still finding out? I love the thought of walking into a room, seeing someone I'm attracted to and letting cupid take over... I like the element of surprise, not the process of elimination based on what cyber space finds to be "compatible" with my "statistic". I have no idea what my type is, or what I'm looking for... but when I see it, when I feel the attraction, when there's chemistry, when I'm at the right place at the right time, when fate takes over, I'll know. So back off Mom, I'm not joining Match.com!

Mel:
I definitely did the online dating thing. At the time, it was one way to be pro-active about meeting people. New York is a big city and that wasn't working in my favor. I was finding it difficult to genuinely connect. I was meeting creepy guys in bars and getting whistled at on the sidewalk, but not running into any viable human beings. I signed up for Match & J-Date which are pretty standard fare. I liked being able to scroll through a bunch of people & take my pick in the safety of my own home, and I did some instant messaging, texting, emailing & calling. I went on some dates - (coffee at a coffee place, drinks at a bar, a weirdly long walk around NYC with his dog). But none of my first dates ever turned into second dates. No one was horrifyingly bad and no one was exciting. It was just a bunch of experiences I would define (as most Jews define all things) as "not terrible" or "meh". That said, I think it kept my dating muscle (wherever that is) in shape so that when a 'right' person finally came along, I could see how he was better than the rest.

Angie:
I don't cyberdate, but I have been cyberdumped. It's not fun to find out you are single via facebook. I recently engaged in a vicious cycle of being cyberdumped and cyber redumping. This also involved some defriending, and refriending, some more dumping, and a lot of "being in a relationship" and "it's complicated." At first, your cyberdrama elicits the sympathy of your friends, but eventually they just make fun of your fickleness on your facebook page. I recommend you think twice before altering that relationship status more than twice in one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment