Thursday, August 5, 2010

What @ Weddings?


The Party Planner in…
Dee:
I've always loved going to parties, I mean who doesn't! (Unless you have social anxiety, then, ok I understand if you don't like parties.). But, I never planned one.  So, when my fiancée and I decided to get married, upon looking at our meager funds, I realized, "Jesus Christ, I'm gonna have to plan this bad boy myself!". So, after getting over the feeling of wanting to throw up all over myself, I embarked on planning my wedding.
     Oh my god guys, I f*cking love planning this thing!!  I mean, the fact that I, Dolores Diaz, conceive of an idea, have it materialize, and this awesome idea of a certain type of party will come about, and it was because of my actual hard work...f*ucking astounding!  Seriously.  Unbelievable.
      It's getting to the point that I want to plan other people’s parties.  I can picture, centerpieces, and layouts and color schemes, and since I've worked in the hospitality industry for more than I'd like to admit, I just totally get it!  I love it!  I want to do more of it! 
     Guys, I've found my inner party planning chick!  And now she wants to come out, be proud, and f*ucking plan a party!!!

3 comments:

  1. What @ Weddings?

    Lauren:

    Will I be invited with a date? I often feel like I am 16 when I get invited to events with out a date just because I am...un attached...I know you have budgets...but nothing makes you feel like a bigger loser than a solo seat at the children’s table

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rani: Don't worry Lauren; I'll sit next to you!


    Eva: Nobody seats Lauren at the children's table!!!!

    Who did that to you Lauren? I will kick their ass

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie:

    Dee, I am VERY impressed by how you've become inspired by your wedding and all of the planning. You should probably start a wedding planning business because I can't imagine any existing planner being half as cool as you. I had an assumption that because I literally organize people for part of my living, the whole planning deal would be a breeze. It's not. I mean, the actual planning (making lists, researching options, making decisions) has been fine, but you add your family 'n crap into all of it and it all goes to hell. Things become muddy and confusing.

    Lauren & Rani, I was always the single girl at the kiddie/loser/random table and even though I'm currently "partnered", I still identify - in my mind - as that person. At my wedding, there are no tables. Well, there will be some small tables where you can sit & put your purse if you like - but there's no table card situation. It's more of a cocktail party with dancing! So, no one will be sitting or standing next to anyone they hate or feel awkward around. I will not toss any kind of bouquet to the single ladies (I used to hide in the bathroom during that moment when I was a wedding guest). In fact, I won't even play Beyonce's awesome song "Single Ladies" because it will invariably become a moment about singledom vs. married-dom on the dance floor and I won't have it. I don't even want to do a first dance because then there's that moment where all the "couples" are supposed to join the "bride and groom" (barf) and that's so alienating to anyone that's not there with a date. Many people I love more than life will be in that position at my wedding and I don't want them to feel less-than in that moment.

    ReplyDelete